DIY FRIDAY #3: circle skirt
now that I have mastered adobe illustrator (because of the hundreds of hours spent on my product innovation project) I quickly whipped this up. The length of the skirt is totally up to you. I also added stiff fusing to the hem for an extra oomph. I think nothing is more amazing then a garment that fits perfect on you. forget elastic waist and one size fits all.
This skirt is unlined because I like wearing slips under. There is two side seam pockets, a centre back invisible zipper closure and an extended waistband that buttons over at centre back. I'll post better pictures of me in this skirt at a later date ;)
1) cut fabric (if you like tucks along the waist, add to the waist on the skirt pattern accordingly, I accidentally cut the skirt out a little bit bigger and added two tucks at the back as you can see in the second picture)
2) serge all sides
3) sew pockets to the skirt (skip this if you haven't done pockets before as they're quite troublesome)
4) sew side seams of skirt right sides together
5) baste stitch fuse to waistband
6) attach waistband to skirt (pin this first, leaving the extension of waistband sticking out on the left side of the back)
7) iron/ press half inch seam allowance on the other side of the waistband and press waistband in half
8) fold waistband in half
9) sew the edge of waistband and flip out
10) stitch in a ditch to catch the other side of waistband (if you haven't done this before, just hand sew the waist down so you don't see the raw edges of the skirt)
11) attach invisible zipper
12) sew rest of centre back close
13) press hem up two inches
14) blind stitch the hem up or double roll the hem
15) steam and voila!
here's a quick
and not so pretty look of the inside.
p.s. I should stress that waistband fuse is really important! I remember the plethora of skirts that I have made and I took the short cut and how badly it warped half way through the day with weird creases. I've learned my lesson.... finally.
p.p.s. my dad's in town from Canada to visit me! You don't realise how much you miss someone until you see them! after he leaves it is serious cram time. one project down. one very very last one to go....